Think about these quotes the next time a Caymanian leader mentions a “pure Cayman.”
See if you can guess who said the following. Your choices for answers are: Alden McLaughlin, Slobodan Milosevic, Joseph Stalin, Francois “Baby Doc” Duvalier and Adolf Hitler.
Ready? Put on your thinking caps. Here we go.
2. “Government has to hold the line or the country will be lost.”
3. “The loss of national identity is the greatest defeat a nation can know.”
5. “I believe in one thing only, the power of human will.”
6. “I am proud of everything I did for my country, and everything I did was honest.”
7. “I have every confidence in my abilities to know what the average person thinks and feels. That’s how I got here.”
9. “We have very strong views on our part that should apply across the board.”
10. “We are discriminated against all the time.”
11. “This was a calmly done cleansing of the population.”
No.1 and No 4. Adolf Hitler. Leader of Germany, responsible for the murder of millions of Jews in an attempt to cleanse Germany.
No. 2, 7 and 9 – Alden McLaughlin.
No. 3, 6, 10 and 11 – Slobodan Milosevic. “The Butcher of the Balkans” responsible for ethnic cleansing and attempted genocide in Bosnia. Murder total still unknown.
No. 5 – Joseph Stalin. Former leader of Russia and murderer of as many as 12 million of his own citizens in an attempt to create a pure Russian society.
No. 8 – Francois “Baby Doc” Duvalier. Former Haitian president, allegedly responsible for as many as 30,000 murders during his reign of terror.
If you got them all correct, congratulations! At the very least, even if you missed a few, perhaps the next time someone mentions creating a “pure Caymanian society” you’ll think of the “success” some of our historical figures have had attempting the same thing.
The way I see it, the only roadblock to creating a “pure” Cayman is the fact that the Caymanian government doesn’t have enough guns and bullets; or enough “pure” Caymanians to fire them.